Saturday, April 08, 2006

Review - V for Vendetta

I was waiting quite desperately for this movie because of the wachowski brothers. These guys gave us movies like the Matrix Trilogy and Assassins and this made me very eager for their next one. Now, to help everybody else, the brothers have only done the screenplay and have not directed it. So, there you go... killed half the expectation from the film, didn't I. Unfortunately for me, I knew this only after I had bought the tickets. :-(

From the general mood of the post you can guess that I didn't like the movie very much. What the movie lacked most of all was screenplay! Yes, The brothers have done a bad job at it. There are characters thrown in every now and then and we are left to figure out their relevance to the storyline. Now, with all the special effects and distractions of Matrix and the fact that it was a trilogy made up for the lack of story explanation. Here, we have no such distractions and the holes in the plot become very obvious. The "V" of the movie i.e. the hero has no history. Why he does whatever he does is not well explained and the explanation that is given is so so lame! Why he messes around with the heroine(Natalie Portman) is even more meaningless. The Hitler like villain and his administrative lieutenants give a very "mugambo and gang" kinda kiddish feel. I did sit through the movie though and thatz coz there are some good points too. The idea that is supposedly being delivered is good. The Yankees have self destructed and the pommies found the Hitler like ruler the only way they can escape the fate of their friends in war. The dialogue delivery of the protagonist, Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith of Matrix) is intriguing and stylish, can't say much about his acting, he is wearing a freakin' mask throughout the movie! There are some good action sequences, but few and far between.

All in all, not up to my expectations, I would give it a 2 or 2.5 stars out of 5, barely viewable.

No comments: