Friday, April 21, 2006

The fiasco and more...

What I term the fiasco here is very local in nature and guess what shook Bangalore last week? Yes, The death of a matinee idol. The reason why I bring up this 'old' news is because I have been seeing so many programs in kannada channels about how badly managed the whole 'after death' scene was. I don't intend to do police bashing here, god knows they have got more than their fair share last week! But, the fact that the family members of the matinee idol were not allowed near the body during the last minutes!! What kind of adulation is this??

What was more appalling of course were the incidents before the funeral. Now, it is pretty clear that the people who vandalised Bangalore were not the fans of the matinee idol. The reason I say this is coz the ones I saw on TV doing this were not sad or grieving. They were just happy doing what they were doing? What prompted this sudden outburst of violence? The more I thought of this the more I wanted to get an answer, And this is what I came up with. I feel the Kannadiga, is on the losing end of the ever growing economic imbalance that plagues Bangalore. We live in the cocooned society that is very hep, very happening, very flaunting. We in fact even forget that seeing a movie at Inox is beyond the dreams of most people who live in Bangalore, but to us, its quite ok. isn't it? The rent in most places inside the city is beyond the range of the struggling "middle class", but we definitely can afford it. Want to buy a site some 15kms from the city? Think again, coz its gonna be more than double the entire PF amount saved by the struggling "middle class". The list of woes and never to be fulfilled dreams goes on and on...

Who will pay for this growing discontent? My answer, I think we just did payback partially last week.

No comments: